Eric J. Dirga, P.A.

A Florida Trial Attorney

Criminal Defense and Personal Injury Cases

733 West Colonial Drive, Orlando 32801 - 407.434.1858

Things You Can Do If Arrested For DUI

Florida DUI Self Help

Information provided by Eric J. Dirga, P.A., Orlando

Last Updated: May 24, 2016

If you have been arrested for DUI there are some things you can and should do immediately besides trying to find an attorney.

After you have been arrested for a DUI you need to find an attorney for representation. However, there are two things are now acting upon your livelihood - the DUI arrest and the administrative suspension. The arrest and court case requires a consultation with a criminal lawyer.

The Administrative Suspension

If you have been arrested for DUI and (1)blew over a 0.08 or (2)refused to blow then your driver's license is automatically suspended. You are also given a 10-day temporary driver's license (it is the DUI citation). You only have 10-days to take action on the administrative suspension.

Actions You Need To Take For The Administrative Suspension

During the 10-day period immediately following your DUI arrest you have several options regarding your driving privilege:

  • Request a Formal Review Hearing.
  • Request an Informal Review Hearing.
  • Waive your right to a hearing.

(Waiving your right to a hearing is the correct choice.)

If you delay and do not elect one of the above options your temporary driving privilege will end and the automatic administrative suspension will begin. The period of suspension for first time DUI offenders is as follows: With a blow over 0.08 your license will be suspended for 6-months with a 30-day No-Driving period; if you refused your license will be suspended for 12-months with a 90-day No Drive period.

You also need to do the following:

  • Sign up for the DUI Counter-Attack Class (and eventually complete it).
  • Sign up for the Victim Awareness Panel (and eventually complete it).
  • Be enrolled and actively participating with any counseling required (and complete it).

You may ask why should you do these things if you don't believe you are guilty and you are going to hire a lawyer? First, remember that you have two things happening to you when you are arrested for drunk driving - the criminal case and the license suspension. If you are found guilty of DUI, you will have to do these things. If you waive your right to a hearing on the administrative suspension, you will have to do these things. If you enter into a pretrial diversion program, you will have to do these things. Moreover, you have to have completed both classes and any counseling to get a valid license back after your suspension period ends.

Substance Abuse Counseling - Part of the DUI Counter-Attack Class

The DUI Counter-Attack Class provider will probably give you a list of approved Substance Abuse Treatment Centers. When deciding on which treatment provider to attend you should consider cost and motivation of the treatment center. Be wary of treatment providers that simply want your money. These tend to require long term counseling and provide little real treatment.

The providers that we have heard only good things from our clients, probation, and the Safety Council are listed below. We do not endorse any particular provider and we receive nothing by listing them here.

Barbara Fuller, LCSW
800 N. Ferncreek Ave., Suite #2
Orlando, FL 32803
(407) 894-5666

We have heard that she gives you a fair evaluation and excellent treatment. However, she will not hesitate to terminate you if you fail to show up for treatment or behave inappropriately.

Contact Eric J. Dirga, P.A. Today for a Consultation

Feel free to contact us regarding your DUI arrest. We cannot answer legal questions over the phone but we can schedule a consutation for you at our office. Call Us Now at 407-841-5555. OR email us directly at

Corrections/Errors; Questions

The purpose of publishing this information is to help both prosecutors and defense attorneys, and non-lawyers better understand the criminal justice system in Florida. We appreciate any input that may further this goal.

Found an error or want to suggest a correction for this page? Please inform us by emailing us at Corrections And Errors.

If you have a question about representation on a criminal case you can email us at Question About Representation.

If you want to suggest a new or old case that we have not listed on this website please submit the complete bluebook case citation to Suggest Case Law.

If you found any information I have provided on this webpage helpful please click my Plus+1 button so that others may also find it.

Contact Us - Click Here